From 100 Best foods for Pregnancy
Gluten Free – Vegan – Soy Free
3/4 Cups Gluten Free Rolled Oats
1/4 Cup Dried Flaked Coconut
1/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds
1 3/4 Cup Coarsely Chopped Plumed Dried Apricots
1/2 Cup Raisins
1/2 Fresh Orange Juice
1/4 Cup Silvered Almonds
1. Put the oats in a dry skillet and toast for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, tossing regularly, until beginning to turn golden. Remove and let cool.
2. Put the coconut in the skillet and toast, tossing it regularly, for 2 minutes, until light golden. Let cool.
3. Put the oats and sunflower seeds in a food processor or blender, until coarsely chopped, then put in a bowl.
4. Put the apricots, raisins, and orange juice in the food processor or blender and process to a thick puree. Add to oat mixture. Add toasted coconut, and silvered almonds, and stir till combined into a thick paste.
5. Line a 10 x 7 – inch pan with parchment paper. Transfer the fruit mixture to pan, using a palette knife, spread into an even layer about 1/2 inch thick. Chill for about 1 hour in the refrigerator until firm, then slice into 12 pieces.
These came out moist and sticky, but very delicious! After cooling, I left mine sitting out over night, covered lightly, and that did the trick. Buy organic, with no sugar added, especially with the raisons and apricots, these will still be very sweet. Buy plain sunflower seeds, or use half salted, half plain.
Store in a airtight glass jar in a cupboard. Avoid toasting. Sprinkle on salads, in cereals, and oatmeal.
Good for Mom and Baby:
Increasing your protein intake during pregnancy can easily be achieved if you consume nuts and seeds, such as sunflower seeds, as well as beans, whole grains, and dark leafy greens.
Sunflower Seeds contain healthy doses of folate, vitamin E, and zinc. A developing baby needs each of these in order to develop and grow.
~ Vitamin E is needed to secure the placental link, and, in combination with iron, safeguards the oxygen supply to the baby.
~ Vitamin E and magnesium content maintains muscle health to support the baby and the mother after the pregnancy
~ Contain selenium and zinc to protect the embryo from toxins.