Crock – Pot Recipe
Gluten Free – Vegan – Soy Free
1 1/2 Cups Uncooked Quinoa
3 Cups Water
1 15 oz Can drained & rinsed, unsalted Kidney Beans ( Eden Organic)
1 15 oz Can drained & rinsed, unsalted Black beans
1 Cup unsalted Tomato Sauce
1 Tbsp Canola Oil
1 small/medium yellow onion
1 celery stalk, diced
1 Tbsp mince garlic
1-2 minced Jalapenos (de-seed)
1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1 tsp Cumin
2 tsp Coriander
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Basil
1/2 tsp Thyme
1/8 – 1/4 Chipotle Pepper
1/4 Fresh Cilantro
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Daiya Cheese for topping
Fritos for topping
Fresh cherry Heirloom Tomatoes topping
1. Saute Jalapeno, garlic, celery & peppers in oil for about 5 mins
2. Add spices & herbs, stir a couple minutes
3. Combine everything in 6 qt crock pot
4. Cook on low 5-6 hours, or medium for 2-3 hours. Cook until the Quinoa has soaked up the liquid.
5. Add Salt and Pepper last
1. Cook Quinoa according to Package Instructions, you may not need 3 Cups of water, use according to package.
2. In a separate medium pot, sauté onion, jalapeno, garlic, celery & peppers in oil till soft, add in spices & herbs.
3. When Quinoa is finished, add to the mixture, then add beans, and tomato sauce.
4. Salt & Pepper to Taste
Top with Fritos, Daiya Cheese, and Cherry Heirloom Tomatoes and Enjoy!
Tips: I don’t always cook with measured ingredients, it’s more fun! Just add a little at a time.
If pregnant: Watch out for the spices, right now I am bothered by spicy things, so you may want to leave out the Jalapenos, and be careful on the Chipotle Pepper powder.
Good for Mom and Baby:
As a vegan, it can be hard to eat enough protein to meet the needs of the developing baby as well as helping me with energy. Quinoa has all of the essential amino acids, which makes it a complete protein, comparable to meat and soybeans. It is also high in fiber and iron!