Vegan * Gluten Free * Soy Free
Serving: About 4 people – 2 -3 tacos each
I Love Mexican Food! I could probably eat it every day. This Black Bean mixture replaces the meat in tacos, it even ends up looking a little like ground beef. I added a little to this recipe that my mother found in a magazine a while back, and unfortunately she ripped the page out and can not remember what magazine it came from. I’ll post if we figure that one out.
For Taco Bean “meat”:
2 1/2 Cups Canned Organic Black Beans, unsalted, rinsed and drained
1/4 Cup Gluten Free Rolled Oats
1/4 Gluten Free Cornmeal
2 Tbsp Chili Powder
1/2 Tbsp Cumin Powder
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
2 Cloves Garlic
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
For Corn Salsa:
1 Cup Corn, thawed if frozen
1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1 green chile, diced
2 Scallions, chopped
Juice of 2 limes
1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro
1.Heat oven to 400
2. I line a baking sheet with foil, and coconut oil, or cooking spray, if you double the recipe use two.
3. In a food processor, chop garlic. Add beans, oats, cornmeal, and seasonings until mixture is combined, about a minute.
4. Cruble bean mixture with hands, and sprinkle on prepared baking sheet. Bake until firm and crisp on the bottom, 10-15 mins. Use a spoon to further break up the pieces, and bake again until crisp all over, another 10-15 mins.
5. In a bowl combine corn, bell pepper, chile, scallions, and salt and pepper to taste, add lime juice to taste as well. Note: When I made this I was out of Bell peppers, so I used cherry tomoatos, and I can’t handle the chile, or scallions right now and it still tasted great!
6. Divide bean mixture among tortillas, top with corn salsa, cilantro, & or chopped spinach and enjoy!
7. You can add Daiya Cheese, fresh avocados, and fresh salsa as well!